Monday, September 6, 2010

Driven

I take a lot of grief for being such a workaholic.

Sorry. But there are reasons.......

I've always had the tendency. I come by it honestly, Mama Vi instilled in us one hell of a work ethic.

I'm kind of proud of that.

And I knew it would be bad with me coming out here. My other tendency is to work when I'm bored. Or lonely.

Yeah.....I work a lot.

But here's the other thing. Something a lot of folks don't get. My history. My recent history. I've been unemployed twice in the last 5 years. Twice. And not just unemployed but homeless. Homeless and unemployed. Oh, and did I mention I lost a car? Yeah....fun times. Now, it all worked out. And I came out the other side a better person - really. I did. But....it all left scars.

And the scars are what a lot of folks don't see. They don't now about the sleepless nights, the panic when we see "Corporate Announcements". Good heavens, those freak me out! You have no idea....

Anyway - all of that, along with my desire to please and my need to win combines to make Tammi a bit of an overly focused individual.

I'm driven. Driven to win, driven to survive.

And I know I'm not alone.......what drives you?

2 comments:

  1. The belief that every question has a right answer, and every process has a best, most efficient way of performing it. Figure if I do enough reading and thinking about stuff, I'll figure it out eventually.

    I think this stems from having 3 sets of encyclopedias in the house when I was a kid, so I could always find answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What drives me? The memory of waking up in my own jail with our Dept Chaplain, the Chief Deputy and my wife all staring at me. The way I felt that morning was the lowest point of my life by far.

    What has kept me going was the knowledge that I never have to feel that way again. So far? So good.

    ReplyDelete