Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shame

September 11, 2001. 9/11

One of the most horrific attacks in American history and absolutely the most tragic event in my lifetime.

And I'm now hearing that the President of these United States isn't going to attend the memorial services in New York.

Not gonna be there. Sending his stand in. Must be something really important on his schedule.

And it damned well better something important. It better be history changing. Because if it's something less than that, it must mean that he doesn't feel that remembering this tragedy, this attack, this moment in our history is not important.

I knew that there would eventually be a shift. That sooner or later we would put this day in the "history books", it would fade in our memory.

But now? Already?! It's not even been 10 years!!! I can still hear the fighter jets flying out of McDill over the Gulf. I can close my eyes and still see my living room, the television. Watch the 1st tower smoke. The 2nd plane hit the other tower. Watch in horror as those towers fell.

I remember the horror of watching the death count grow. Watch in pride as this Nation banded together.

And now? Now our leader is sending a message that it no longer matters. It's not important. Or at least it's not as important as whatever else he plans to do.

Shame on you Obama. Shame Shame SHAME on you.

You insult the victims of this day, their families and loved ones, and this entire nation. Shame on you.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you're wrong and he's going to the memorial services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too. I really do. But I have this horrible feeling the report I heard is accurate. And I'm so very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's scheduled to be at the Pentagon:

    "President Obama plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks by attending a memorial service at the Pentagon, the White House said Tuesday.

    In addition, Vice President Biden will attend services at ground zero in New York, while Michelle Obama will be joined by former First Lady Laura Bush at the Flight 93 memorial near Shanksville, Pa., Robert Gibbs announced at his daily press briefing."

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I can live with that. And I'm a little ticked that they didn't explain that in full. Thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally found you again after your little post on FB regarding Harvey's birthday. The didnt publicize the Freedom Walk until last night when they were showing the people walking. Looks like they had way more than the year we walked.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete